Tourist preferences around the world are undergoing a paradigm shift at the moment, and so is the tourism industry. The younger tourists, in particular, are choosing to stay away from fancy metropolises like London, Paris and New York, which have traditionally been the hottest global tourist destinations.
Tourists are increasingly favoring exotic and pristine locations, which have witnessed relatively lesser interference from urban developers. As a result, relatively lesser known sites with natural beauty are getting more popular.
In sync with these new trends, ecotourism has acquired worldwide recognition and popularity in recent years. An ecotourism destination could be a remote tribal hamlet, a trekking route, a coastal area with options such as scuba diving or simply an idyllic village in the midst of nature. Ecotourism is also becoming known as sustainable tourism or rural tourism among millennial tourists. Before we take a look at the unique ecotourism opportunities in La Paz Mexico, it is important to understand what exactly ecotourism is.
What Is Ecotourism?
Ecotourism is a form of tourism involving a visit to a pristine and relatively undisturbed natural area such as La Paz Mexico where the ecological balance has been beautifully maintained. Visitors can draw the maximum benefits of pure nature in those healthy environs while feeling inspired to appreciate and preserve the planet by following eco-friendly practices during their visit or stay.
Ecotourism is intended as a low impact alternative to the more commercial forms of mass tourism. It also serves as a channel for visitors to interact with the natural components of the destination’s environment.
Ecotourism has three main objectives:
- To minimize the negative impacts of tourism on the environment
- To encourage the sustainable economic development of local communities
- To provide a rich experience to the tourist which includes both adventure and environmental knowledge and inspiration
Benefits to Local Communities
Benefits to Tourists
- Minimizes the environmental footprint of the tourists
- Increases their environmental awareness
- Improves insights into the local and indigenous cultures
- Unique experiences in the heart of nature
- Relatively cheaper than other forms of commercial tourism
Due to these myriad benefits, it is all but obvious that the popularity of ecotourism is on the rise in the entire world. One such a destination is La Paz Mexico where the ecotourism scene is exploding.
How Is Ecotourism Booming in La Paz Mexico?
Ecotourism has grown in recent years due to the increasing awareness of the environment among the younger generations. La Paz, Mexico has gained from this booming industry as it forms a perfect site for ecotourism experiences.
La Paz is the capital city of the Baja California Sur state of Mexico and is located on the Pacific coast. It is bordered by the Sea of Cortez which has been dubbed the “Aquarium of the World.” Considering that the small coastal strip contains about 30 percent of the globe’s marine life, this title is well-earned.
The clear sea provides tourists with the opportunity to witness the marine life in its natural environment. The marine life is rich and includes some very fascinating species, such as sea lions and whale sharks. Special care has been taken in La Paz Mexico to avoid commercial exploitation of the region and to conserve its precious marine life.
However, the magnificent and mysterious Pacific Ocean is not the only attraction of La Paz Mexico. The area also boasts of some of the most incredible beaches where white sand intertwines with the colorful seashells in the shallow crystal clear sea water. There are also many species of fish and you can safely swim in the sea to discover these beautiful creatures on your own. The coast also provides you an opportunity to view the gorgeous sunset.
If the marine and coastal opportunities are fascinating, the city area is no less fun. The urban space includes fantastic resorts and restaurants, old cathedrals, colorful buildings, new age coffee shops, and mescal bars. All in all, La Paz Mexico seems to be a microcosm of the wonderful and colorful Mexican culture, which adds a spicy flavor to the experience.
All this scenic and cultural beauty, along with its closeness to the United States of America, have led to a booming ecotourism scene in La Paz. The city of La Paz is also close to the towns of Los Cabos and Todos Santos. If you happen to like “Hotel California” by the Eagles, it is essential to point out that this famous song was inspired by the Hotel California of Todos Santos.
What Are Some Great Ways to Experience Ecotourism in La Paz Mexico?
La Paz is an incredible place to experience some of the finest natural beaches, landscapes, adventures and promenades in a tranquil environment. Thus, there are multiple sites for an eco-tourist to explore, including:
Sea of Cortez
- This sea contains nearly 30% of all the global marine species
- Only place in the world where you can experience underwater sand waterfalls
- You can dive underwater to explore flora and fauna including coral reef, starfish, and bright blue/red crabs
- Opportunity to snorkel with sea lions at “Los Islotes”, an island habitat
- Opportunity to swim with the whale shark, which is the largest fish on the earth
- You can charter a private tour to the pristine hidden beaches such as Coronado, San Jose, El Carmen
- This spot is great for learning and conservation experience
- You can navigate the mangrove canals on a kayak while enjoying the spectacular scenic beauty of the marine world
- You can get involved in the Black Turtle protection at the Espiritu Santo Archipelago National Park
- Gray Whales migrate from the Bering Sea to reproduce near La Paz from December through March
- Bahia de Balandara, which is among the top-rated beaches of Mexico
- It is generally secluded and is famous for white sand and crystal-clear water
- Sand dunes surround the beach and you can even sand board down these giant dunes
- The waters are shallow and when the low tide occurs, you can walk on the hundreds of feet of the inter-tidal zone and explore its biodiversity
- Ensenada Grande – another fantastic beach with white sand and crystal clear water, much like Bahia de Balandara
- Surrounded by red-colored cliffs which are covered with cactus and frequented by numerous species of birds of prey
- The waters are shallow and clear, which gives you the opportunity to observe the myriad species of fishes swimming around
Port of La Paz
- Opportunity to traverse the coastal waterfront promenade on foot or bike
- The promenade boasts 16 famous sculptures
- You can stop by the famous museums such as the Whale Museum, Museum of Natural History and Museum of Anthropology
- You can appreciate the monument Efren Olalde de Sanchez while entering the port city
- Todos Santos is a short one-hour drive from La Paz Mexico
- It’s home to artists, musicians, writers and intellectuals
- You can immerse yourself in the multitude of artistic expressions which manifest themselves in this little paradise
- The Art Festival of Todos Santos takes place at the magnificent Manuel Marquez de Leon General Theater
- The art festival showcases exhibits of dance, drama, paintings, handicrafts and more
- This area of splendid natural beauty is merely a two-and-a-half-hour drive away from La Paz Mexico
- Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995
- Boasts of crystalline waters and large coral reef which is 25,000 years old
- You can swim and dive in the tranquil waters and observe colorful fish and turtles swimming all around you
- It’s located nearly 185 kilometers south of La Paz Mexico is Los Cabos, famous for its deep blue sea
- It’s a privileged fishing spot for the blue marlin
- You can also take part in the local fishing tournaments in October and November
- You can enjoy the local seafood prepared with Mexican flavors
With the increasing awareness of climate change and environmental degradation, the conscious international tourists of today are looking for a more enriching and environmentally sustainable experience through the concept of ecotourism. La Paz Mexico has a unique geographical and cultural advantage to serve as a hotspot of global ecotourism.
Not only does the natural scenic beauty of La Paz enamor visitors, but it also serves as a treat for those who want to immerse themselves in true Mexican culture and heritage. The marine life of La Paz is varied, and its beaches are beautiful, while the culture of La Paz Mexico and surrounding areas like Todos Santos immediately appeals to tourists, especially those who are caught in the monotony of an urban existence.
If you wish to explore the world of ecotourism in all its beauty, then La Paz Mexico could be the ideal place for you.